Monday, December 22, 2008

Los Peces en el Rio

(Above: a mobile of fish - peces - hanging outside our apartment.)

One of our favorite things about Advent is that we get to pull out our Christmas music.

I get to listen to Bruce Springsteen's awesomely epic version of Santa Claus is Comin' to Town.

Chris gets to delight in her favorite, Mariah Carey's perennially popular All I Want For Christmas Is You.

But this year, here in México, we've discovered a new song. Chris told me about hearing it in Guadalajara, and then I heard it for myself when a children's choir sang it inside a mall in Puerto Vallarta. It's called Los Peces en el Rio. It's sort of in a minor key, which makes it my favorite Advent song since Light One Candle to Watch for Messiah (WOV #630; ELW #240). From what I can gather, it's about the Advent excitement of the fish in the river, interspersed with scenes of Mary pondering things in her heart as she prepares for the birth of Jesus.

You can read an English translation of Los Peces en el Rio here, and you can listen to it in the video below ...


No comments: