Friday, May 22, 2009

En el aeropuerto


Made it to the airport, check. Made it through immigration, check (but check with difficulty). Now I'm sitting in a Starbucks in Miguel Hidalgo International Airport, copping wi-fi from the Chili's across the way, while I wait for my flight.

Americans are all around me, speaking English - it's a little disconcerting. Dude sitting at the next table is on a cell phone talking business with somebody, in a drawled-out English. "We've just got to set that aside and figure out a way to win," he tells the person on the other end of the line. It's not even 7am yet - at least not here. A couple just sat down at another table in the Starbucks and the woman asked the man, "Do you think they take credit cards?" (It strikes me that these might be pretty common things to hear wherever you are, dear reader. But this is the first I've heard them since...well, at least since my last time in the States.)

I have another half an hour until my flight boards, so I'm downloading audio podcasts on iTunes for the trip. No Democracy Now! yet, unfortunately, but amazingly the Slate Political Gabfest is already out. Wonderful. That should keep my mind occupied until I fall asleep, something I desperately need to do if I'm going to make it through a day in which I'll travel across one border and almost all the way up to another one before meeting with one of my two future supervisors all afternoon and evening. Whew. Here we go...

3 comments:

From Chicago with Love said...

Travel safe! Blessings! :-)

Mike and Beth said...

Z and H are here - we have all been thinking about you and praying for you!

Hannah Q. Parris said...

Is this your signature 'look' now? I'm noticing the trend here...

:)